Are you considering applying for your child to attend the gifted program at Westmount Charter School? We have a specific gifted assessment that is designed to meet Westmount’s application requirements.
Cost: $650 (testing only) to $1100 (testing and report)
Session Length: One 3-hour session or two 1.5 hour sessions
What can I expect during the session?
- When you book your session, you will receive an email with a background questionnaire, to complete anytime before the appointment
- On the day of the session:
- I meet with you and your child for the first 30 minutes to talk about your child’s history, learning style, answer any questions you may have, and allow your child to become comfortable with me and with the office space
- Next, I meet one-on-one with your child to complete the cognitive assessment (WPPSI-IV, WISC-V or WAIS-IV). This usually takes about 2 hours, and we take breaks as needed.
- When the testing is complete, you are invited back into the room and we spend 30 minutes discussing your child’s results.
- If your child meets gifted criteria (FSIQ of 130, plus or minus 5 points), a psychological report will be written and provided to you for your submission to Westmount. If your child does not meet gifted criteria, you may choose to not have a report written.
What are the deadline dates?
For Kindergarten through Grade 4 students, the application deadline for the 2023/2024 school year is typically held in November. It is recommended that you schedule your assessment between August and mid-November to ensure the assessment report can be completed prior to the application deadline.
For students entering Grades 5 through 12, the application deadline for the 2023/2024 school year is typically held in February. It is recommended that you schedule your assessment between November and mid-February to ensure the assessment and report can be completed prior to the application deadline.
What is required?
As part of the application process for Westmount, they require a psychological report from a registered psychologist indicating that your child has undergone recent intelligence testing (also called an IQ test or cognitive assessment) using standardized assessment tools. This report must contain information about your child’s development, as well as provide their FSIQ (Full Scale Intelligence Quotient) and GAI (General Ability Index) scores obtained during testing.
Westmount Charter School’s criteria to qualify as a gifted learner is a Full Scale IQ score or GAI score of 130 +/-5.
What test do you use?
Testing involves a standardized cognitive assessment, and depending on the age of your child, we will be using either the WPPSI-IV, WISC-V or WAIS-IV.
How long does the assessment take?
The assessment usually occurs over a single session lasting 3 hours, however you can also split this into two 1.5 hour sessions if you would prefer.
How much does the assessment cost?
The cost is $650 (testing only) or $1100 (testing and report).
Will insurance pay for the assessment?
Your health insurance provider may cover all or some of the fees for the assessment and report. It is recommended that you contact your provider to ask whether or not your plan includes coverage for services provided by a registered psychologist.
I am able to direct-bill to many insurance providers. If direct billing is not possible, you will receive a receipt upon payment which you can then submit to your insurance for their review and reimbursement.
When will I receive the report?
Reports take 4-6 weeks to complete. However, in busy months such as November and February, I have time set aside in my schedule for report writing, so that you can rest assured you will receive your child’s report before the application deadline.
Book your assessment today or contact us for a free telephone consultation to ensure you are able to submit your application in time.